Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild

To: Bill Gingerich <bill@gingerich.us>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:10:54 -0500
The other thing is, how firm is that $1000?  When they've got it in
100 pieces and they tell you it needs more work that will cost extra,
then what?  If you have someone install a rebuilt transmission from
one of the major rebuilding places, that should at least take some of
that risk away.  Of course, if you are sold on the integrity of the
local guy, that could work out just fine.  I have to agree that doing
it yourself is probably not the best idea.  Assuming the $1000 is
legit, best case you're talking saving $1000 - $255 which is
$745.  Then there have to be some other expenses that will reduce
that some more.  Plus there's a risk that after all this effort it
won't work right.  It is probably something you could do yourself if
you really want the experience, and have the time to go slow and
learn.  But if it's just to save the bucks, I don't think it's worth
it.  BTW, it's really $400-$600 for a boneyard transmission?  Heck,
if you had the time to search around you could probably find a whole
'93 Ford Escort for that.