Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:03:00 -0600
I had a similar experience in the late 80s with a Volvo 240 automatic
trans (Borg-Warner). It took me about 20 hours on the bench and a
rebuilt torque converter, but it worked fine for a couple years until
the torque converter failed. I dropped the trans again and converted the
car to a manual trans that worked fine for the next 15years.  It was
still running fine when I sold it. Some times I wonder if professionally
rebuilt parts are really worth it. The shop had a really good name, but
the converter was then out of warranty, and I would have had to go back
through the trans again.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Doug Braun:
> Back when I was a student (circa 1982), I had a P.O.S.
> '76 AMC Hornet with lots of miles.  One day I
> accelerated briskly in reverse, and hear a "bang!",
> and reverse gear was no more.  I put the car on jack
> stands in my back yard and pulled the tranny, and
> discovered that I had broke the reverse band.  A local
> transmission shop was very helpful in recommending
> which clutches, seals, etc, I ought to replace while I
> had it out.  I took apart the gear train, added the
> new seals, clutches, and reverse band, put it back
> together, and installed it back in the car.  Only then
> could I tell if I had been successful.  I was, and the
> transmission worked fine for several years, the rest
> of the time I owned the car.  My friends from back
> then still remember this episode with awe.
>
> So:  it definitely Is possible to do it yourself.
>
> Doug
>
> --- Bill Gingerich <bill@gingerich.us> wrote:
>

>> Greetings, All.
>>

>> I have a '93 Ford Escort with a failing automatic
>> transmission.  Slips,
>> delayed engagement, delayed shifting, etc.  The car
>> has 90M on it, and is
>> solid otherwise.  It was my dad's car from new, so I
>> know the history.  I've
>> received quotes of anywhere from $1000 (local shop)
>> to $3000 (dealer) for a
>> rebuild.  My problem is I don't have that kind of
>> spare change.  I also
>> can't afford to replace the car.  I've looked for a
>> junkyard transmission,
>> but most of those have more miles than what I have.
>> It seems a bit silly to
>> spend $400-$600 on a used box that may not be much
>> better than what I have.
>> O'Reilly has a master rebuild kit that I can get for
>> $255.  I'd like to fix
>> the car, as 30 MPH beats my truck's 14.  OK, so now
>> the question: Is
>> rebuilding and automatic something that a slightly
>> above average DIY grease
>> monkey can do at home?  I have the factory service
>> CD for the car, but
>> haven't read through it yet.
>>

>> Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated as
>> long as they are
>> physically possible.  ;-)
>>

>> Bill Gingerich
>>
>> OKC

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com