Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:48:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Doug Braun wrote:
> So generally speaking, why are trailer tires and wheel
> bearings so lousy?
> I always hear about them failing.  And it sounds like
> it is a much more dangerous problem on a trailer
> compared to a car.
>
> Those parts never give me much trouble on my car...

    Good question... my tire trailer is, umm, a little different from most
( http://planet-torque.com/garage/trailer.html ).  It, obviously, uses car
tires and car wheel bearings.  They have never been touched in the twelve
years that this thing has been pulled all over the country by myself, and
the previous owner.  Meanwhile, everyone with normal tire trailers is
repacking bearings every year, and replacing them every couple years.

    I don't know why trailer manufacturers use such bad parts on their
trailers, but they do.  I would pay extra for "car quality" bearings on a
trailer, if I could.

--
  David Hillman