Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:47:55 -0700
> So generally speaking, why are trailer tires and wheel
> bearings so lousy?
> I always hear about them failing.  And it sounds like it is a
> much more dangerous problem on a trailer compared to a car.

Main reason is neglect, IMO.  They sit around for years then suddenly get
pressed into service and no one ever thinks about repacking wheel bearings,
or replacing tires just because they are 10 years old (with lots of tread
left).

They also get a lot more abuse, IMO.  You'd never think about driving your
car with the wheels jumping in the air, but I see lots of unloaded trailers
being treated that way (OK, I've done it myself).  There's also things like
running over curbs (or off them), potholes, etc.

And finally, I don't buy the same quality tires for my trailer as I do for
my car.  The car never gets anything less than steel radials; while the
trailer gets the cheapest bias-ply nylons I can find (that will fit and
carry the weight).

For that matter, I've had two flat tires on a car in the past year (both on
the same day).  One from a 1/4" bolt I apparently ran over, the other from
flying accident debris I didn't quite dodge.

Randall