Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: nases@verizon.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:08:59 -0400
There is another thing that you should think about.  To me, a trailer
is a general "tool" that is very handy to have!  It is not something
I bought to just tow one kind of vehicle for a certain number of
miles.  You certainly don't want to get something that's too big for
your tow vehicle.  But a trailer will come in handy for lots of other
transport jobs that you probably haven't thought of yet.  For this
reason, the idea of a full floor, rather than one "track" for each
side makes for a more versatile trailer.  I have used mine to move my
tractor.  My trailer is 16' long.  It has a solid diamond plate steel
deck.  Two Axles.  Electric brakes, on one axle only.  It has done
everything I've asked of it and I have no complaints.  Some people
say 18' would be better.  Brakes on both axles would be better, I
suppose, but one axle was considered acceptable by most states for
"non-commercial" use.  When you're buying used, your choices are
limited, just like car shopping.  Find a basic configuration that
will work for you.  The description above works for me, but your
needs may be different.  Make sure there isn't any major damage,
nothing twisted, etc.  Keep in mind that tires get unsafe with
age.  Most trailers don't go enough miles to "wear out" tires.  Don't
sweat the lights and wiring.  If you can deal with an Austin Healey,
you can rewire a taillight.