RE: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:24:05 -0700
> I have seen this slow-startup problem only in the
> CF-style
> lamps.  Other types of fluorescents to not seem
> to suffer from it.

Strangely enough, I have the opposite problem.  I have CFs in several
"instant on" places (including a bathroom) and they hit full brightness (to
my eyes at least) pretty much instantly.  I can't even see a flicker as they
come on, they're just on.

But I also have several of those dimmable "square" tubes in floor lamps, and
they take a minute or more to reach full bright.

Maybe it depends on which CF you buy ?  I think mine are just the cheap ones
on sale at Home Depot that day.

> Also,  my house has lots of those 65 watt
> recessed ceiling floods, and I have replaced about 2/3
> of them with CF bulbs.  I have found that they
> do not last any longer than the incandescent bulbs.

I have a CF in a similar recessed fixture (designed for a standard bulb
rather than a flood).  Been in there for at least 3 years now.  Considering
that it runs most of the time (leave it on when I'm not home so the house
isn't completely dark), I think that's very good.

Randall