Re: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:06:43 -0400
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:49:28PM -0400, Peter Schauss wrote:

> Has anyone tried one of the new compact fluorescent light bulbs in a
> standard drop light?  Will they stand up to the occasional impacts that a
> drop light sustains in normal use?  Given that they contain mercury, should
> I be worried about breakage?

I have screw-in CFL bulbs in two of my drop lights.  They're a little more
resistant to everyday bumps and vibrations compared to regular incandescent
bulbs but I wouldn't expect it to survive a fall.  If you need something
that'll
handle rough treatment, you might need to look at LED-based lights.

Nice thing about CFLs is they don't get very hot.  For that, I'm willing to put
up
with the 5-6 seconds it takes to come to full brightness.  And since a 26W
CFL outputs the equivilant of a 100W incandescent, you can install a brighter
bulb than you can otherwise safely install (most dropcords are rated for 60W).

They do contain mercury but it's only a tiny amount.  I wouldn't worry about it.
Just don't go licking the floor if you break one.

Jimmie