RE: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light

To: "Doug Braun" <doug@dougbraun.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:19:29 -0400
Doug Braun wrote:

> I have found that a lot of CF lights need a couple
> of minutes to reach full brightness, which really
> limits their usefulness.  For example, I think they
> are useless in bathrooms, where you walk in, turn
> on a light, and want the light right away, for a
> brief period.

Yep.  In one of our bathrooms, the fixture has three
bulbs.  Two are now CF, and the other is a regular bulb.
Instant light, and it gets brighter after a few seconds.

The other bathroom has a two light fixture.  The CFs
lasted less than a day before it was changed back to
regular bulbs.  One of each didn't work either as the
light wasn't "balanced"

Other lights in our house have been changed to CFs.
A couple in three ways in the living room, the overhead
light in the utility room, the light in the ceiling fan
over the eating area in the kitchen, etc.  They places
usually have other lights on nearby, so the slow
startup of the CFs isn't as noticeable.

> I would think that a drop light definitely falls in
> the first category.

I have not problem with my drop light being a CF.
Usually  it gets turned on and then I go grab the
tools.  Buy the time I have the tools, the light
is bright.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA