Re: Water pump and furnace emergency electrical connections

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water pump and furnace emergency electrical connections
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:05:11 -0500
I agree that this is not considered acceptable because it depends on
you to remember to flip the main.  Strictly from an educational point
of view, however, I don't understand what the big risk is.  If I
forget to flip the main, I will be attempting to supply power to all
my neighbors on the same transformer.  My generator will not be up to
the task, and the generator's breaker will trip.  A utility worker
would have to be working right near my house, on wiring after my
transformer, to be at any risk.  It is my understanding that a
utility worker would routinely jump the wires to protect himself
before working on them if he wants to have a long career and life.

Safety rules don't work when they're too hard to follow.  A transfer
switch installation can cost more than the generator, and greatly
limit the circuits that can be served by the generator.  I think
their goal is admirable, but they need to come up with a better way.