Re: Water pump and furnace emergency electrical connections

To: Karl Vacek <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: Water pump and furnace emergency electrical connections
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:41:10 -0600
Preston,

This would work fine. What you would basically end up with is a pair of
outlets on breakers that you would use when normal power is available.
When power goes out you can either run extension cords from the
generator to the plugs that you remove from the outlets, or run one
extension cord and split the power where the furnace and pump plug
in.The wire would have to be heavy enough to support both pump and
furnace at the same time...as would the generator.

I would cut the wire between the breakers and switches. I would have to
look at the electrical code book, but as I recall furnaces require a
disconnect at the furnace. I don't remember if an outlet with pigtail
qualifies. I've always hard wired my furnaces with a switch in line,
right where the romex comes out of the wall.

Karl: There would be no possibility of shock at the plugs, just as there
is no possibility of getting shocked when touching the plug on an
appliance. Power into that piece of wire would be through the plug that
is now not connected to a power source.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Karl Vacek:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001