Re: Water pump and furnace emergency electrical connections

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Water pump and furnace emergency electrical connections
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:01:12 -0500
At 02:14 PM 12/29/2006 -0500, Inch wrote:

>OK, I have NO idea if this would work, but it's just a suggestion.
>
>If you have you generator plugged into your panel, wouldn't just flipping
>the main breaker prevent it from back feeding up the line?
>
>My idea would be to shut off devices you don't need, flip the main breaker
>off, and then feed the generator into the downstream side of the panel.
>That way, all your outlets are "hot" and you can used what you need without
>having to run cords or other expensive wiring.

>Again, this may be illegal or dangerous.  Could someone please provide
>feedback on it?

On this subject, I think Inch is pretty close.  Again, the transfer box
is the BEST way to go.  However, in this area with the Hurricanes and Ice
storms we loose power quite often in some areas.  What I have done for
my parents and several friends is to set up their generators with an
220V extension cord so when they have a power failure, the chop the
mains.  Then they plug their extension cord (male at both ends) into
the generator and their dryer (220V) sockets.  We chop the circuit breakers
to everything, including the dryers.  Then power the generator up.

Once the gen. is online, we reset the dryer circuit thus back feeding the
electrical panel.  Then you can turn on the breakers for what ever you
need.  But it is up to you to manage your power usage, assuming that your
generator will NOT supply all your needs.  So if you turn on the breaker
for your refrig. you will have to know it.  Don't turn on the circuit
for your hot water heater.  Or if you want hot water, be sure to turn
a lot of other things off.

Again is this legal?  I don't know.  It should be relatively safe.
If you want to be absolutly save, then I'd pull the meter.  This may
not be "legal" either, but is the safest.  And we are talking about
emergencies here not just for the hell-of-it.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic