Re: Garage door springs

To: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garage door springs
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:43:23 +0000
> Is this an issue just with long springs on the sides of the door?
> The only springs I have had on my last 5 houses were the torsion
> springs that are around a bar across the top of the door?  No doubt
> there is a bunch of energy in that but I don't think that
> configuration is a candidate for catastrophic failure...

Yes, they can break.  The good news is that the bar more than adequately takes
the place of the safety cable and prevents the broken spring from flying around
the room.

I strongly recommend that homeowners let a professional handle garage-door
springs.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,