Garage door springs

To: "Shop-Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Garage door springs
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:49:12 -0400
I'm looking at the springs on my one garage door and wondering how long
before that spring lets go.  There is only a rope down the spring to hold it
and I know that won't begin to stop it.

What a good replacement to hold that spring if it breaks?  Chain link or
wound cable?

Also.  Anyone know of a good source of some strong and small diameter cable.
I have forward tilt bonnet on my Bugeye and want to support the bonnet in
the open position with some cable but can't find any in about a 1/8" size.
I need also to be able to crimp some loops on the end for inner fender
attachment points.

Thanks

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA