RE: Garage door springs

To: "'Shop-Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Garage door springs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:21:25 -0700
> Also.  Anyone know of a good source of some strong and small
> diameter cable.
> I have forward tilt bonnet on my Bugeye and want to support
> the bonnet in
> the open position with some cable but can't find any in about
> a 1/8" size.
> I need also to be able to crimp some loops on the end for inner fender
> attachment points.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
has 1/8" MIL-spec, stainless steel, 19 strand aircraft cable for $.40/foot
(and no minimum order).  Galvanized steel is only $.24/foot.  If those don't
suit you, they have a bewildering variety of other cables, 26 more choices
just for bare 1/8" aircraft cable.  There's also a selection of coatings, in
various materials and colors.

They also have wire rope thimbles, and compression sleeves.  For an extra
charge, they will even make up an assembly for you.

You might beat their price at your local discount hardware store ... but
probably not by enough to pay for your gas and time to go there.  Not to
mention aggravation when after looking for help for 10 minutes, all you can
find is some kid who'll tell you "We don't sell aircraft parts, mister."

Randall - NFI, just a happy customer