Re: Garage door springs

To: Phil Nase <nase@ptd.net>,
Subject: Re: Garage door springs
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 08:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
Over a several year period, I had 2 or 3 springs break
on the garage doors of my old house.  The first time
it happened, the spring flew back and smashed into a
light, and tore apart the (wooden) support for the
rear of the track.  Fortunately this happened
when nobody was in the garage.

After the first incident, I installed steel cables
that run insdie the springs and attach at either end.
Hardware stores sell a kit with two cables and
some fittings for each end.  The next time a spring
broke, the cabes contained it.

If you spend time in your garage with the doors
closed, I strongly recommend you install these safety
cables!

Doug