Re: quickie elect. question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: quickie elect. question
From: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:09:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Mike Rambour wrote:

>    I have to redo my bathroom and this old house is wired with 2 wire plugs
> everywhere and no grounds.  Plans are to rewire the house someday in the
> not distant future but right now termites have me doing the bath.  I was
> thinking of re-wiring the bathroom while there is no drywall on it with
> 3-prong plugs.  Can I run the ground wire to one of the many water lines in
> that wall and at least get a ground so I can legally put in 3prong plugs
> ?  At the same I can run romex up to the attic to I can do a proper 3 wire
> when we redo the rest of the house wiring later this year but I thought
> maybe by going to a water pipe I could avoid pulling that drywall off later.
>
>       Mike

        I've been following this thread but I'm still a bit confused.  What
is the house currently wired with?  Is it BX?  I thought BX used the shield
for ground.  Or is it something older than that?

        My house was all 2 prong when I moved in (with BX) and I've wired a
number of sockets to 3 prong without any problem.

                Tim

Tim Hoerning  /  hoerni@cooper.edu
'91 Honda VFR 750, '84 Honda VT500 Ascot, '73 Honda CB350G Super Sport
'87 Chevy El Camino,  '90 Plymouth Laser