RE: quickie elect. question

To: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: RE: quickie elect. question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:02:40 -0700
> At least in my state, a GFCI is an acceptable way of connecting a three
> terminal receptacle to a two wire system without ground.

Wow.  I had no idea that was permitted ... but it appears you are right.

Kinda bugs me ... a GFCI so connected will not detect a short from hot to
housing until you touch it and complete the circuit to ground through your
body.   Hopefully it *will* blow then, and your skin will deflect enough of
the current from your heart that all you'll feel is a brief tingle ...  a
GFCI does not blow until around 5 milliamps, which is several times what it
takes to stop your heart.

Personally, I prefer the "belt and suspenders" approach of still having a
safety ground.  Don't trust them newfangled electronic gadgets <G>

Randall