RE: quickie elect. question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: quickie elect. question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:44:10 -0700
> I was
> thinking of re-wiring the bathroom while there is no drywall on it with
> 3-prong plugs.  Can I run the ground wire to one of the many
> water lines in
> that wall and at least get a ground so I can legally put in 3prong plugs ?

Only problem I see is that water pipes aren't always a reliable ground.  If
the house has been partially replumbed with copper (or will be in the
future), it's routine to put insulators between iron and copper pipes.

Why not run a ground wire into the attic and tie the grounds to it, through
the new Romex ?

Or, since you don't have to disturb the drywall to change the plugs, run
your "with ground" Romex but leave the 2-prong plugs until the ground gets
connected later.

Randall