Re: welders MIG vs. TIG

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: welders MIG vs. TIG
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:49:58 -0800
I'm not a welder, but I'd like to play one on TV someday ;)

With all the discussion about types of welders (MIG vs. TIG vs. OA), there
hasn't been any discussion about the strength of the weld produced.  I have
heard OA--under some circumstances, at least--provides a stronger weld due
to more even heating/fusing of the surrounding metal.  Obviously, TIG/MIG is
plenty
strong since it's used in critical apps (airplanes, bridges, etc.) but is there
any
inherent differences in the "quality" or strength of welds produced by the
different methods?

TIA,
bs