Re: welders MIG vs. TIG

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: welders MIG vs. TIG
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:44:49 -0800
   Thanks Everyone,

  I had quite a few off-list replies as well and the information has been
great.  It ran the range from TIG has a steep learning curve to TIG is
easier then MIG, but the responses seems to be in favor of a TIG.

    Since several people suggested perhaps a better MIG would work, I guess
I should have said what I was using, I am a Lincoln 125Plus with 0.030 wire
and 25% Argon mix, I also welded with flux core wire but went to gas
because of the splatter and I found it easier to weld thin metals.   I
noticed the guys at a local muffler shop weld up some pipes for me, I
tacked them (and of course burned holes) and took the pipes to them to do
weld (is that sick and wrong, I have a welder and I am paying someone to do
it for me) that they had the same MIG and it was set on maximum amps, the
guy just feathered the trigger on/off really fast and welded up my pipes
and filled the holes that way, i came home and tried it, didn't work.   The
best way for me, is to go one step down on the suggested power and get a ok
weld.

  I would LOVE to take a class but our local Adult Ed. no longer offers
welding and the local college only allows you to take a welding class if
you are in their "trades" programs.   I spoke with my wife and she has
agreed to let me buy a TIG if I think it will help BUT first, I am going to
try that twentygauge wire that has been suggested here.  I really liked the
comments made about it on that hotrod board.

   I have ordered some of that wire and will report after the weekend.

   And into the garage I go .....

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/