Re: welders MIG vs. TIG

To: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>,
Subject: Re: welders MIG vs. TIG
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:03:18 -0600
Karl.... I have a Tig... Mig... gas set up ... and stick.... last weekend I
was working on a big metal project in my home shop and kinda got in the
playing mode.....  So I tried my hand at every one of them..... and since I
started with a Mig... it's obviously the best to me.... the real secret is
to go slow enough... and put some serious heat in it... which means the wire
needs to be right sized for the project and the heat setting's need to be
right.... just like when you grab a torch.... which by the way took so much
heat I warped the hell out of a 3/16ths' sheet of steel.....  I did enjoy
brazing with it...( trust me this thing has no structural value.)....  I
hated the Stick.... just looks like pure mud to me... having to chip
something off just goes against my grain.... BUT if I'm trying to keep
something together forever and it's THICK.... the Stick can make that happen
in a hurry...

The Tig is the only way to go if you have all day.... and it's water cooled
which mine isn't....  the thing  just simply rocks...

Keith
(   If I had the Tin man's skills  I wouldn't need a Mig either.... but I
don't.... I have mine..)