Re: welders MIG vs. TIG

To: "Mike Rambour" <mikey@b2systems.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: welders MIG vs. TIG
From: "dave rann" <rdavid205@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:52:25 -0700
>   First, let me say I don't weld often enough so I am a lousy welder and I <

 I must admit to being the same. I have a torch, a mig, and a tig welder.

 When working on the welding table, with a bit of practice before doing a
serious weld, the tig gives nice results, especially when it all clicks. On
thicker metal the tig can be used as an arc welder with a conventional lead and
a electrode holder. Absolutely a great fun way to weld.

However when laying under the car trying to work in an awkward position, tig to
me becomes a major annoyance. I find myself constantly sticking tungstons,
climbing out from underneath, grinding a fresh point, and starting over. This
is
time consuming, and also these welds are not of the best quality. The foot
control is mostly not usable in less than ideal situations.

 My vote goes to mig as the first all around choice. And, I am even considering
trading in the tig for a better mig machine.

 Dave