Re: welders MIG vs. TIG

To: Elton Clark <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: welders MIG vs. TIG
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:16:31 -0500
Tony:

The Henrob runs at about 4 psi, and the small Smith torch that I have can also
run at that pressure.  However, the Henrob flame is softer, more gentle, for
any given flame size.  I still have difficulty with it creating too large a
HAZ in body panels, and warpage becomes a problem.  So most sheet metal
projects end up with mig.

The flame of the micro torch can be really small, but even that tends to be
larger than I think I usually want.  My wife gave it to me several years ago
as a Christmas present (came from Eastwood) and I haven't used it much.  But
it's fun to weld tiny things using a piece of .023 mig wire as filler rod.  I
once planned on building a radio controlled racer with a steel tube chassis,
but I've become more interested in full size cars.  Well, LBCs, anyway.

The most recent acquisition was the HTP tig.  That produces a soft "flame"
with a much smaller HAZ, and it's slower than the MIG so it's easier to keep
up with.

Another application I used the Henrob for was to weld up a reservoir tank for
a log splitter I helped a friend build.  It was made out of 12 ga. cold rolled
steel, and I first migged the joints.  Once joined, I made the welds deeper
and nicer looking by using the Henrob to push a puddle through the joint.  It
was easy to control the penetration without blowing through the joint.