Re: pouring a new concrete garage floor

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: pouring a new concrete garage floor
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:05:34 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 Eric@megageek.com wrote:
> The "fiber flakes" make the top of the floor look "fuzzy."  Not good if you
> plan to seal it after the pour.  I would go with steel even if it's more
> expensive.

Ah.  Yeah, sounds like I should go with regular rebar or wire mesh or
whatever.

> first off (and most importantly,) before you pour over the old floor, how
> stable is the old floor?  If it's cracked and such, it means it wasn't
> prep'ed right.  Are you sure it's "settled" all it will?  If you pour
> another floor, you might find that it settles more and cracks the new
> floor.

The old floor does have some cracked areas that have settled pretty good.
Mostly the floor appears solid.  Perhaps I'll jackhammer out the settled
part and re-tamp that area down.

> Adding sand is an idea.  But I've always seen crushed stone (called "QP"
> here) but it's the 3/4" and smaller stone.  Then it's tampped until you are
> sick of running the tamper. (then tampped one more time).

Crushed stone it is.  Thanks!

> I put a grate that runs the distance in front of the door.  It's tied
> into the floor drain.  (the floor drain is 6" sch 40)

This is the part where I'm not sure what to do...  There's no existing
drain and I'm not sure where I could drain it to anyway.  I guess I could
go inside the house to the sump pump without too much difficulty though.

> Also, if you are going to pour, think about adding some pvc conduit for
> electical outlets in the center (if you need that sort of thing.)

I've got the walls stripped, so I'll just run electic that way.

> I've done smaller pours, and to be honest, I would use a professional for
> this type of work (unless you are going to be selling the house soon.)

I'm somewhat leaning that way.  At a minimum, I'll get a couple folks in
here just to see what they think.

> As for the doors that need to move.  if possible, pour the floor before you
> move them.  Then you can set the doors to the exact height you want.

I'll pull the garage doors off, then re-install after the floor is poured.
The man door will be up high enough that it won't matter.

> If you are in the NJ area, I'll give you my guys name.  He is awesome, and
> they do great work.

Unfortunately I'm over by Youngstown, OH...  But if anyone has any
recommendations in that area, I'd love to hear them!

Mark