Re: pouring a new concrete garage floor

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: pouring a new concrete garage floor
From: Eric@megageek.com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:18:03 -0400
I just went througth this and here is what I found out.  (Note, I'm not
expert, but this is just the answers I got)

My floor is 45' X 55' @ 6" and 4500psi concrete.  With Radiant heat.

The "fiber flakes" make the top of the floor look "fuzzy."  Not good if you
plan to seal it after the pour.  I would go with steel even if it's more
expensive.

I over did my floor (6" wasn't needed, but I didn't want to take chances
and I was putting in a car lift.) Plus the radiant tubes were in there.

first off (and most importantly,) before you pour over the old floor, how
stable is the old floor?  If it's cracked and such, it means it wasn't
prep'ed right.  Are you sure it's "settled" all it will?  If you pour
another floor, you might find that it settles more and cracks the new
floor.

Adding sand is an idea.  But I've always seen crushed stone (called "QP"
here) but it's the 3/4" and smaller stone.  Then it's tampped until you are
sick of running the tamper. (then tampped one more time).

I put a grate that runs the distance in front of the door.  It's tied into
the floor drain.  (the floor drain is 6" sch 40)

Also, if you are going to pour, think about adding some pvc conduit for
electical outlets in the center (if you need that sort of thing.)

pitching the floor (slanting it) is not an easy task.  It doesn't need
much, but it's hard to get it right.

Floating the floor (this is the term), is backbraking!  For my floor (the
guy is old school european and will ONLY hand float, not power trowels)
there were 18 guys for over 10 hours.  Then about another 8 hours of 5
guys!  I have to admit, the finish is awesome!

I've done smaller pours, and to be honest, I would use a professional for
this type of work (unless you are going to be selling the house soon.)

Once concrete comes, you need to do the right thing, at the right time.
The concrete will dry weather or not you know what you are doing.  And this
is no time for trial and error.  You get 1 shot at it.

As for the doors that need to move.  if possible, pour the floor before you
move them.  Then you can set the doors to the exact height you want.

If you are in the NJ area, I'll give you my guys name.  He is awesome, and
they do great work.

Inch
http://megageek.com

 "Did you exchange, a walk-on part in the war,
for a lead role in a cage?"  R Waters.