Re: pouring a new concrete garage floor

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: pouring a new concrete garage floor
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:53:11 -0400
Quoting Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>:

> * Can I just pour concrete over the existing concrete? No point should be
> thinner than 4"...

I'll leave that answer to the experts. I would *assume* you could do so...

> * How should I go about "screeding" (I think that's what its called) the
> cement, since I'm pouring the floor inside a building? In case I'm using
> the wrong word, I mean "how do I level the concrete out so that I have a
> flat/smooth floor?"

When I built a garage onto our old house, I had the floor poured *after* I
built the garage (but before I installed the doors). No problems for the crew
that did the work for me. They'd place some pieces of plywood and kneel on
those as the screeded the floor - starting on the back and working towards the
door openings. The end result was a nice, gently sloped floor. If I had wanted
it level I believe they could have done so.

Note that I refer to the crew that did the work for me. Money well spent. They
were fast and efficient. I would have been slow and DEficient!

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC