Re: Re: Vinyl storage shed

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Vinyl storage shed
From: <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:42:55 -0400
> I just downloaded the 26 page instruction booklet for these sheds. Looks
> like there is a boat load of pieces to this thing, quite the erector
> set.
>
> I need to figure out a foundation for it. I see it comes with a floor
> section, but I hate to just set it on the dirt. Maybe use paver blocks,
> or make a wood frame on pier blocks. Or I was wondering about using four
> shipping pallets. I think they are 4'x4'? Those would be easily moved
> with the shed when the time comes.
>
> The 2' extension kit is another $230 to make it 8x8 (this would fit the
> pallets without mods to them). Can't decide whether to get the 2'
> extensions for $230, or just buy a second shed for $400...
>
> Tried to look at the Rubbermaid one that Tim mentioned yesterday but
> they did not have that model. May try lowes next.

Wayne,

I bought the floor kit, and did the piers and plywood floor
on my metal erector set shed.  The plywood has rotted
now and everything is falling through.  Bummer.

What I'm planning on doing when I replace my current metal shed, is use
something like garden timbers and lay out a
frame for the shed.  Then rough up the dirt, lay in some
sand and crush-N-run to build the area up a little above the
ground and level it.  Then lay solid cynder block down for
the floor.  I need it shed up at least 2" above the ground
to keep the water out, when we get our torential rains.
Plus with the solid floor, I can put just about anything on
it.

The garden timbers hopefully will hold everything together
while I'm working on it, then I'll leave them there until
they rot away.

John