RE: Vinyl storage shed

To: Wayne Farrington <w.farrington@verizon.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Vinyl storage shed
From: "Mullen, Tim (IIS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:48:05 -0700
Wayne Farrington wrote:

> So, I started looking at plastic type sheds and was
> wondering if you all have any experience with these?

I bought the Rubbermaid "Big Max" 7x7 ft. shed from Home Depot
http://rubbermaid.com/hpd/consumer/product/detail.jhtml?prod=HPFG378401D
PLAT&attributeId=&nextType=&currentType=&locationId=&thirdMenuIndex=
a couple of years ago.  For the most part, it snaps together and has
screws to hold things in position.  The floor is part of the deal.
Mine's sitting on a leveled off dirt spot in my back yard.  I've had no
problems with water getting in of anything else (although some field
mice did find their way inside - the moth balls seem to be keeping them
out now).  It also has brackets that hook into the sides to add shelves
and a garden tool rack.

The kit has an aluminum beam along the peak of the roof.  You can
optionally install wood beams (2x4 if I remember) as additional roof
supports - this has the added advantage of allowing me to hand big hooks
from the wood to hand my weedwacker, leaf blower, chain saw, etc.  My
edger, lawnmower, wheel barrow, spreader, and two dirt bikes all fit
into the shed.

Now that my shed is been up, they are also offering 3 foot extension
kits to make the shed 7x10 ft. - wish I could have gotten one at the
time.

As someone else pointed out, they are not necessarily secure.  The lock
on the door is a chunk of plastic that sticks through one door and
allows you to insert a pad lock.  One good whack with a hammer or hunk
of wood, and the "lock" will be gone.

Highly recommended.

Tim Mullen