RE: More air compressor ???

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: More air compressor ???
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:46:47 -0800
> As I am
> comparing the ones out there It appears there is some overlap in
> specs between
> single stage and two stage.  Because I don't know any better I'm
> thinking 2 is
> better than 1 right?  What are the advantages/disadvantages
> between the two?

A 2 stage is more efficient, especially at higher pressures.  That
translates to more air for the same power and usually (not always) a higher
ultimate pressure.  Plus, they'll work better when the rings and valves get
a bit tired, and should run just a bit quieter/smoother.

Note that there is a difference between just two cylinders and two stages.
The second stage cylinder has to be a smaller displacement, usually this is
obvious when looking at the pump.

In effect, a 2-stage compressor has a much higher overall compression ratio
than is possible with a single stage.  Efficiency drops dramatically as the
output pressure approaches the input pressure times the compression ratio
(being zero when they are roughly equal).

Randall