Re: "Goos Enough" but Good Value

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Goos Enough" but Good Value
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:25:32 -0800
At 07:26 AM 11/23/2003 -0800, Derek wrote:

>That's a very good point Randall that I sometimes think we
>forget. Most of us can't afford really high quality models
>for all tools we want to own. Therefore we compromise and
>find that most lower priced, lower quality tools actually
>do an adequate job.

I won't get religious on this subject but some of those adequate tools
are crap.  I really like the $100 Buffer I got from HF but the switch
only lasted a couple of months.  Took it apart and fixed it but its
still not right.  Still adequate of course, but you have to jiggle it
just right to make the goddam thing run.

The trouble with cheap tools is deciding when to throw 'em away.
Or if they're worth fixing.  I find it irritating.

I cant afford to buy all the best either, but every cheap tool I own
reminds me that price is not the only consideration.

Steve Shipley