RE: More concrete floor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: More concrete floor
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:28:46 -0700
> As Larry indicated, a lot of people would recommend you cover the tile
> rather than remove it. That's a less expensive option but I don't know
> what you can cover it with that would give you a satisfactory surface,
> especially if you have heavy equipment or tools. Laminate, wood flooring
> or carpet were all options that were given to us just to cover the tile
> if we chose not to remove it.

In our case, it had been under carpeting for the past 20 years.  As part of
a remodeling project, that corner of the house was to be brought up to the
same floor height as the rest of the house, so the tile had to go one way
or the other.

One option was to break and remove the slab, pour a new stemwall and frame
the floor with joists, the other to put sleepers on top of the existing
slab but even in the latter case the tile had to come off so that we and
the engineer could inspect the soundness of the slab.

It proved to be fine - surprisingly so, given that the house is on landfill
and the lot had always previously had drainage problems - so we ended up
taking the sleeper approach.  Not only was it cheaper, but I also had
trepidations about excavating a known sound slab that in 30-plus years
should have settled as much as it ever would, and then attempting to tie a
new footing into the existing foundation along the perimeter of the house.

John.