Re: More concrete floor

To: "Brian C. Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: More concrete floor
From: "Mark and Susan Miller" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:24:55 -0700
From: "Brian C. Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>
> While we're on the subject of concrete floors. I have a walkout basement
> concrete floor that had the old 9" tiles. The house was built in 1910, so
> have no idea how old the floor is. My plan was to remove the tiles and
paint
> the floor. I heard, however, that the adhesive in the old tiles had a lot
of
> asbestos. So, I'm wondering what the best approach might be for cleaning
up
> the old adhesive, then prepping the floor for paint. I'd planned to use
> epoxy paint, but I see Ray used Harddeck. Ray, you say this is really
nasty
> to use. What precautions would you take in a walkout basement?

It's not just the adhesive.  The tiles themselves may be full of it as well.
When we pulled our kitchen and bathroom flooring we had it tested and found
it was almost 40% asbestos.

It is only a problem as dust, so keep it wet as you pull it out.  Getting
all the glue off to end up with a painted surface may be oodles of work.
What will you be using the shop for; have you considered other surfaces such
as interlocking rubber tiles?

Options, options, options.

Mark.