Re: Harbor Freight Torque wrenches for LBC (Randall)

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Harbor Freight Torque wrenches for LBC (Randall)
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:20:13 -0400
Hi Randall,

I agree. Sometimes HF is good stuff and sometimes not.

My last engine rebuild was in 1971, so I haven't used a torque wrench in
a long time. The one I used then was a bending beam with pointer and
scale kind of thing.

I had assumed I should buy a pricey up-scale instrument kind of thing
until I saw the torque specifications in my TR250 Bentley. The ranges
are very broad: 26-34 is a typical number. My thinking is a difference
of 8 in this example so, 30 is in the middle +/- 4. 4/30 is about +/-
13%. I would set the torque wrench for 30 in this case.

These HF torque wrenches claim to be +/- 4% so I figured they were OK --
three times more accurate than I needed (in the typical case).

I understand your reply to doubt whether these HF wrenches are what they
  claim to be -- accurate to +/- 4 %.

You also seem to not like the clicker style. I thought it would be good
because using it would not require me to be read/view the scale.

What would you suggest that would get me a typical +/- 13% or so.

Also, how do I recalibrate a clicker type?

Thanks for the response,

Don Malling