RE: Harbor Freight Torque wrenches for LBC (Randall)

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Harbor Freight Torque wrenches for LBC (Randall)
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 06:44:47 -0500
>I don't mean to imply anyone is "stupid" for buying measuring tools from HF,
>just that I won't.  At least not if accuracy is important.  And I don't
>doubt that most of their wrenches meet their specs, just that their quality
>control is so poor that it could be off by 20% and you would be the only one
>to notice.

I had a conversation with a guy who ran an Indian drop-forging plant
a few years ago.  He claimed that they were fully capable of making
things to the highest standards.  They didn't do so, because their
clients didn't pay them to do so.  They cut corners by using dies
past the point they were worn out, not buying the highest quality
materials, and so on.  The end result was that some stuff that they
produced was really good, and some was crap.  I have no doubts that
HF's suppliers follow the same logic.  You may get what you pay for,
or you may get something much better.

DAvid