RE: Harbor Freight Torque wrenches for LBC (Randall)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Harbor Freight Torque wrenches for LBC (Randall)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:03:58 -0700
> I may even send it off to have it recalibrated
> just to see. After being told I was stupid for even considering a HF
> torque wrench, now I'm curious. Or maybe I can test it myself against an
> up-scale torque wrench in my car club.

Shouldn't be too hard to check it yourself, if you have something you know
the weight of fairly accurately.  Take a chunk of cast iron with you the
next time you visit the doctor <g>

Clamp the drive pin in the side of a vise so the pin and the handle are
horizontal, then hang the calibrated weight off the handle.

> You also seem to not like the clicker style. I thought it would be good
> because using it would not require me to be read/view the scale.

Actually I do like the clicker type torque wrench, don't even know where my
big beam wrench is anymore.  The only beam type in my toolbox only reads to
60 inch pounds, and I'd probably replace it if I found a cheap clicker.

I don't mean to imply anyone is "stupid" for buying measuring tools from HF,
just that I won't.  At least not if accuracy is important.  And I don't
doubt that most of their wrenches meet their specs, just that their quality
control is so poor that it could be off by 20% and you would be the only one
to notice.

Your point about the wide range given for most LBC fastener torques is well
taken, and in truth I've never felt the urge to get my various torque
wrenches calibrated for that reason.  So maybe a HF wrench would be OK.  But
don't blame me when a rod bolt snaps while you're driving, because your HF
wrench didn't click at the right time ... <g>

Randall