Re: Bathroom repairs

To: prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bathroom repairs
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:57:52 EST
In a message dated 11/1/02 6:56:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca writes:

> What is the best way to remove the old grout from between the tiles?

You can get a grout tool if it isn't a large area, or use a Dremel tool for
power.

> What is the best way to remove old silicone caulking from around the
> tub?  Is there anything that dissolves silicone caulking or is scraping the
>
> only way to do it?

Scraping is the only way I have found.  Long after the tub has turned to
rust, the silicone will look like new!  They make plastic tools but I haven't
had any luck with them.  I used a sharp chisel held flat against the
porcelain to remove most of it, them follow up with a razor blade type paint
scraper.

> Will cleaning the surfaces with alcohol before caulking
> improve adhesion?

Absolutely!

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward