Re: General building question

To: "Conrad" <conrad@conrad.uk.net>, <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>, <gpd4@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: General building question
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:24:57 -0500
From: "Conrad" <conrad@conrad.uk.net>
To: <pethier@isd.net>; <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>; <gpd4@juno.com>;
<shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 1:48 PM

> > Tell me again why you don't just put in an ordinary overhead
> > garage door.
>
> You mean an up and over type thing? Errrm, good question. Mainly because
> it needs to be high enough to get the jcb in, and then it would hit a
> car on the lift,

If your shop is that high, the door can go straight up.  It is not written
that the door must curve over at the top of the opening, or at all.

> but also because theres a major security problem with
> the barn being in the middle of a field with no power for an alarm etc.
> The doors that I make will be heavy, but strong. Hopefully.

How are you going to lock them?

> In my experience up and over doors are not very secure against even a
> basic crowbar type attack.

The certainly can be, but you have to walk out via another door.  I suggest
that that other door be a pre-hung steel exterior door with a jimmy-proof
lock.  Replace the regular screws in the lock-plate and the hinges with long
screws going all the way into the studs.  Don't forget to shim between the
studs and the door frame.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com