Re: General building question

To: LBC286@aol.com, conrad@conrad.uk.net, Tim.Mullen@trw.com, gpd4@juno.com,
Subject: Re: General building question
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:26:42 -0500
>I'd be careful with a garage door that is vertical when open.  The springs

>reduce tension as the door opens because it usually will be horizontal and
be
>at rest on the rails.  Therefore it requires little spring tension to hold
it
>in place in a normal installation.  Gravity will be pulling the door straight

>down if the rails go straight up.
>
>You might be able to rig a counter-weight that will go down as the door goes

>up, and if everything is in balance, it should work well.

I would definitely use a counter-weight on each side if I were to do this.
Sorry I didn't mention that before.  This would actually work better than the
springs do on over-the top doors.  Since this is supposed to be in an area with
no electricity, one cannot depend on a power operator to help out.

> I would also
>install a latch to hold the door in the open position in case of
>counterweight failure.

Not a bad plan, but with proper cables, total failure would not be likely.

Phil Ethier