RE: General building question

To: <martins@efn.org>
Subject: RE: General building question
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:37:09 -0400
From: Martin Scarr [mailto:martins@efn.org]

> Take a look at the doors on small hangers at an airport; the door is
> hinged in the middle horizontally.  It's also hinged to the frame at the
> top, and the bottom rides up in a guide.  As it opens, the middle of the
> door pushes out from the building.

And it provides a "porch" roof when it's open to help keep the rain out of the
shop.

Back when I lived in Southern California, the garage doors were a solid
panel.  An pair of arm attached to each side of the door connected to
a pivot plate on the walls.  As you opened the door, it pivoted up and
out such that about 1/3 to 1/2 the door was on the outside.  I kind of
prefer this type of door since it doesn't use as much "roof space" as
the typical "slide up and turn the corner" door.  There were springs
on the sides that helped lift the weight.

They worked well, but probably wouldn't work well in snow climates since
the initial motion of the bottom of the door was outward - could hit the
snow bank in the right conditions...  And the door always had to be the
full width of the garage since it had to pivot on the sides - no double
door two car garages.

Tim Mullen

Tim Mullen