RE: Under the hood temperature

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>, <keithka@microsoft.com>,
Subject: RE: Under the hood temperature
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:56:28 -0400
Yea, what he said.

My '72 Elan was originally equipped with post '68 "Nader Nuts"
for the knock-on wheels - large (about 2 1/2 inch) hex nuts for
the knock on wheels.  There were two versions of tools to use
on the nuts - a chunk of flat metal that had a hex opening and
one "wing" to hit with the hammer (kind of simulates the
knock-on spinners).  Or my two foot long wrench made out of
about 1 inch square tubing welded to the above "wing" tool.
The wrench is a pain.  It has to be so long because you have
to apply about 200 ft-lbs of torque to the "Nader Nut", and
it's sized so that a 100 pound female could stand on the end
of the wrench to properly tighten the wheel...

On my car, the Nader Nuts have been replaced with a factory
original pre-68 knock-on spinners and a hammer.

By the way, they are called "Nader Nuts" in honor <?> of
the safety zealots that required the elimination of the spinners
(starting in '68) as a safety hazard to pedestrians (as if
getting hit by the car wasn't enough?).  The funny thing is
that it's perfectly legal to add big old fake wire-wheel
hubcaps the *really* stick out, but function knock-off
spinners are illegal...  8-(

Tim Mullen