Re: Under the hood temperature

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Under the hood temperature
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 04:28:46 -0600
Randall Young wrote:

> You might want to check out
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1/index.html
> for a little "light" reading on the characteristics of modern gasoline.

 Though Bruce is a nice guy and worked hard at the FAQ (and is a
petrochemical engineer by profession, so he gets paid to know that kind
of stuff), he's limited by his sources.  For example, being in New
Zealand, he'd never actually driven a car that was running fuel
contaminated with ETBE or MTBE.  The literature says it's great stuff,
doesn't harm fuel lines, reduces emissions, doesn't affect gas mileage,
and increases power.  So Bruce, guided by The Official Word, says that.
However, that's "ozone science", and even a lot of closed-loop EFI cars
have trouble with MTBE, and it ruined the carburetors on my Yamaha when
it dissolved the fuel lines into black rubberoid gick.

 Most of what he says is straight stuff, though.

--
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?