Re: Under the hood temperature

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Under the hood temperature
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:41:00 -0400
JNiolon@uss.com wrote:
> Hey Larry,
>
> I've never heard of the diesel fuel thing before... 'splain that to me
> please ??   and only a cup full ??
>
> always learning something...john
I am not sure I would put the diesel fuel in my gas, but a few ounces of Marvel
Mystery Oil probably would not hurt. Depending in which part of the country
your
car is operated, the new gasoline formulations do seem to be a little more
volatile, but "vapor lock" does not seem as common as it was back in the
earlier
part of the last century, when cars used mechanical fuel pumps attached to the
block.

I would check your fuel line routing and make sure that it doesn't come too
close to the the exhaust and then see if the adhesive foil doesn't help. There
is no way that even excessive under hood temperatures would get high enough to
boil the fuel in the line without causing serious damage to the rest of the
components. In fact, replacing the regular manifold will probably raise
temperatures, not lower them, as the cast iron manifold will hold more heat and
conduct it to the exhaust pipe than a header.

Depending on which MG you have, the problem could be the SU pump under the
floor
boards - they were notorious for failing in American driving conditions. We
(back in the '60s when I was in the "foreign car" repair business) used to
routinely replace the failed SU pumps with American Stewart Warner low pressure
pumps. The only difference was the loss of the friendly "click, click, click"
of
the old pump when the engine was idling and the degree of reliability. It was
not uncommon in those days to see drivers hop out of their MG or other SU
equipped car when it died, tap the pump with the knock-off hub hammer, have the
engine come to life, and drive off. :-) Ah, the "good old days".

Mike

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>

  "Be who you are and say what you feel because those
  who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

              Theodor Seuss Geisel, "Dr. Seuss"