RE: next question - cable access vrs DSL

To: "Scott Hall" <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: RE: next question - cable access vrs DSL
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:35:00 -0700
> that was my high on my list until I discovered two things:
>
> 1) regular dial-up uploads, i.e., you have to maintain a dial-up i.s.p.
> and you get to keep the dial-up upload speed.

The part about the speed is accurate for most (all ?) providers.  There's
been talk of offering both directions, but there are some fundamental
problems, starting with the existing satellites themselves not being able to
handle it.  Generally you don't have to have a separate ISP, your satellite
provider has to maintain the modem farm as well.  They may farm it out to
someone else, but it should only be one account from your point of view.
This also means you typically don't get a choice of ISP ...

> dunno if that has an effect--maybe the trees sway in the wind, maybe the
> signal is marginal to begin with and the clouds exacerbate the problem).

Leaves make a pretty good screen for the higher frequencies, it doesn't take
much to interrupt.  Clouds don't help and thunderstorms definitely are a
problem.

> when you added that to the cost (almost twice what d.s.l. was asking) I
> nixed it.
>
> all in all, I'm temped to ask what laying a t1 would cost.

If twice the price of DSL scares you, don't even ask about a T1 !  Even if
the pair is already run, the price will be many times that of DSL.  Why ?
Because they can ...

Randall