Re: next question - cable access vrs DSL

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: next question - cable access vrs DSL
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:07:35 -0700
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:34:19AM -0700, ken.landaiche@nokia.com wrote:

> CLAIMER - I design DSL equipment, have for six years.
>
> The guy at the two-guy computer store is wrong about the sharing. DSL lines
>go from central office to each home so each user is independent. Cable runs in
>a daisy chain from house to house so everyone shares. He's sort of right about
>the distance affecting speed. But it's because long runs of twisted pair phone
>lines act as pretty serious low pass filters. They were designed to handle
>voice at up to 8 KHz. Being able to deliver 1 MBit through them is pretty
>amazing. So the further you are from the central office, the slower the max
>speed you can expect. Then again, one of my co-workers lives three blocks from
>the CO. He gets 6-8 MBits.

With DSL there is 'sharing' once you go from the DSL lines themselves
onto the telco network from the COs to the Internet.
That's where the bandwidth limitations can be put into place.

> The Guy seems to have swapped and slightly mixed up the technologies. That
>said, I live in the boonies, still on a 28.8 modem. I'd jump at either
>technology.

Me too.  I can see part of Silicon Valley from my place
in the hills, but I can't get anything faster than 48k modem.

Have any of you other boonie-dwellers tried one of
the satelite-based services?  I'm not too keen on them
because they 1) require Windows, which isn't secure 2)
don't allow servers (we run a web server and mailing lists) and
3) will cancel your account if you post something that
someone doesn't like or send "hacking" packets... and
since I'm a security researcher, sometimes I send suspicious
packets when I'm say testing out the firewalls at work.
(the original reason I got my own domain in '91 was
to make sure that the firewalls I'd set up actually worked.
The only way to test that is to try them from the outside)

The first two problems can be gotten around by running
a firewall behind the windows box and by finding a colo for
the web/mail server.  The last can't.

Eric