Re: next question - cable access vrs DSL

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: next question - cable access vrs DSL
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 01:23:17 -0400
1. Typically but not necessarily with all providers.  I think Star-band has
fat upload but since my telco rewired my house to give me DSL, I never had
to go that route.  The service should have a website and it would have the
info.

2. Installers get paid crap.  They do a crappy job aiming the dish.  You
need to get some percentage of signal, say 90% of optimum dB.  As soon as
they get to 90%, they stop so they can get to the next call.  You can
fine-tune the aim to get the real max.  I know all kinds of friends who
have gotten the dish and spent the extra 20 minuets fiddling to get the
reception up there.  I'm about the last person in my "in the middle of
nowheresville" who still has cable - and it's only because I haven't made
my mind up if I'm going to dump my second phone line & DSL to get a
cable-modem instead. I got laid off and work was paying for the phone line
& dsl (about $100/mo). Cable-modem should be an additional $50 so if it
works, bye-bye DSL....

At 21:02 05/23/2002, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Scott Hall's keyboard
and said:

>On Thu, 23 May 2002, Eric Murray wrote:
>
> > Have any of you other boonie-dwellers tried one of
> > the satelite-based services?
>
>that was my high on my list until I discovered two things:
>
>1) regular dial-up uploads, i.e., you have to maintain a dial-up i.s.p.
>and you get to keep the dial-up upload speed.  (but, then, the same guy
>that told me that told me the cable/dsl thing, so maybe this is crap too).
>
>2) I got dish network satellite t.v.  heavy cloud cover and thunderstorms
>will cause the satellite to lose the signal and spend three to five
>minutes trying to re-acquire a signal.  this would be maddening while
>surfing I bet.  but, we live in the middle of what amounts to a national
>forest with plenty o' trees and the installer for the dish spent about a
>half hour finding a good place to locate the dish to get a signal.  I
>dunno if that has an effect--maybe the trees sway in the wind, maybe the
>signal is marginal to begin with and the clouds exacerbate the problem).
>when you added that to the cost (almost twice what d.s.l. was asking) I
>nixed it.
>
>all in all, I'm temped to ask what laying a t1 would cost.  the town is so
>small that I can't be too far away from whatever the t1 would have to meet
>on the other end.
>
>scott

Cheers!