RE: next question - cable access vrs DSL

To: ken.landaiche@nokia.com
Subject: RE: next question - cable access vrs DSL
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:46:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 24 May 2002 ken.landaiche@nokia.com wrote:

> That price difference is also why the phone companies have been
> slow-rolling DSL for six years. DSL at $60/mo would kill their cash cow
> T1s at $1500/mo. DSL has forced that price down to the mid hundreds
> though.

get out!  I thought the major outlay for t1 service was actually laying a
cable to your location from wherever?  so it's $1500 just for service?
and dsl is a competitor?  is it *that* fast compared to a t1?

and while we're on the subject...what's "t1" mean, anyway?  and "t3"?  and
what speeds do those designations represent, if any?

scott