Re: Posts-Like big sticks in the yard

To: John Viviani <geeno@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Posts-Like big sticks in the yard
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:39:01 -0700
John Viviani wrote:

> Okay I bought this house 2 or so yrs ago. One of the conditions of sale was
> to remove the above ground pool. I don't swim, my wife doesn't swim, I
> didn't want the higher insurance so I could tell my friends I had a pool and
> the neighbor kid could swim, did I mention the people before me had this
> thing with any sort of fence etc. Well they did remove the pool, not a bad
> job other than now I need to till and add soil to the pool location. My
> problem is the stairs/deck that they had for this thing had 4x4 posts to
> support it. Placed in the ground with cement. I guessing no more than 18
> inches, that is where the mountain begins and the dirt ends (who the hell
> put western VA on a mountain). Anyone have any easy ways to get these things
> out.

A few thoughts-

1.  Don't get them out.  Build a slab around/over them and put up another
garage.  Can't have too many square feet of workspace!

2.  Like (1) but maybe a deck?

3.  Drill into the top and stick a big eye bolt into it.  A few inches of chain
to one end of a long beam (maybe 2-3 feet from the end of a 12-16' 4x6?
whatever
you have around) and stick a jack under the far end.  You'll have 6-1 advantage
and should be able to pull it out with a couple of ton jack, albeit only a few
inches at a time.

4.  Start digging.  Perhaps hire some of the gophers that should be looking for
homes from another thread.

5.  Jackhammers are fun for the first few minutes.

Mark.