Re: blowing up gophers

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: blowing up gophers
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:03:30 -0600
Bullwinkle wrote:

> After opening up the tunnel, pour in some "Draino" crystals. (I believe
> Red Devil lye is the same material.)  Then pour bleach onto the crystals

 Red Devil lye is no longer sold around here for some reason.  However,
it's the same stuff engine rebuilders use in their caustic tanks for
cleaning grunge off car parts.  It works best when hot, but it'll work
cold.  If you use a clean tank and clean water, it will also strip most
finishes from furniture without harming the wood.

 I use "automotive engine rebuilder cleaner" now, but it's just lye with
a dash of detergent soap mixed in.  The mix is 1 part lye to 5 parts
water by volume.

 It will eventually eat away flesh, and I'm sure the MSDS is horrifying,
but I can stick my arm down in the tank to fish out a dropped part
(asuming the tank isn't hot) and wash it off without any trouble.

 Drano has the same active ingredient (ammonium hydroxide?) as lye.
Same with most oven cleaners, but the concentration in oven cleaners is
very low.

--
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?