Re: Posts-Like big sticks in the yard

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Posts-Like big sticks in the yard
From: Bruce Wolfe <wolfe@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:38:35 -0500
If the wood is sound, drive a big, heavy screw eye into it. Put some
sort of support very near the concrete (I used a concrete block), but
not on top of it. Prop one end of an 8' 4x4 on the support. Wrap a chain
through the screw eye and over the 4x4. Get WAAYYYYY out on the end of
the 8 footer and lift. Leverage is your friend. I've removed about 8
rotted out fence posts with a version of this technique. Takes a lot
less "oomph" than you would imagine. If the wood is not sound (mine
wasn't), you can dig down some until you can wrap a chain around the
concrete enough to get a good "hold" on it. Try to get the chain to lift
as straight up out of the hole as possible. You might have to drive a
nail in the lever to keep the chain from slipping.

Bruce

John Viviani wrote:

> Okay I bought this house 2 or so yrs ago. One of the conditions of sale was
> to remove the above ground pool. I don't swim, my wife doesn't swim, I
> didn't want the higher insurance so I could tell my friends I had a pool and
> the neighbor kid could swim, did I mention the people before me had this
> thing with any sort of fence etc. Well they did remove the pool, not a bad
> job other than now I need to till and add soil to the pool location. My
> problem is the stairs/deck that they had for this thing had 4x4 posts to
> support it. Placed in the ground with cement. I guessing no more than 18
> inches, that is where the mountain begins and the dirt ends (who the hell
> put western VA on a mountain). Anyone have any easy ways to get these things
> out. I only have a 1/2 acre so no tractors etc, the wife mows (I have
> horrible allergies) and she won't let me get her a tractor 8^). Any help.
>
> Gino

snip

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
wolfe.vcf]