Re: Posts-Like big sticks in the yard

To: "John Viviani" <geeno@adelphia.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Posts-Like big sticks in the yard
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:48:30 -0700
>  Anyone have any easy ways to get these things
>out. I only have a 1/2 acre so no tractors etc, the wife mows (I have
>horrible allergies) and she won't let me get her a tractor 8^). Any help.

As much as I hate to suggest the BFH, in this world of machinery, you
can do a lot of damage with an 8-10 pound sledge hammer.  I am old,
short, and fat but I'll always try my luck with one of my hammers.  Mine
is an 8lb, Dad's is a 10.  Depending on the age and quality of the concrete
you sometimes can quickly turn large pieces into small ones.

I watched a housemover break up a porch slab about 6 feet wide once.
He was going pretty good on the thin stuff.  Unfortunately the slab got
thicker the closer he got to the house.  At about 6-8 inches thick, he sent
me to the rental shop for a jackhammer.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA